Animators, as well as creators or artists, know that entering contests is both a motivation and a gamble.
Here is a list of the pros and cons of joining animation contests:
1. PRO: Joining is a fun experience.
CON: Sometimes constantly joining contests may feel like work.
2. PRO: Good opportunity to get more exposure and expand your network. CON: Sometimes joining comes at a cost.
3. PRO: Motivates you to take up a challenge and to try/learn something new. CON: Sometimes you feel pressured or overwhelmed in the process.
4. PRO: Chance to win cash and prizes, or even get to work with studios. CON: Not everybody wins.
5. PRO: Not caring about winning makes you more resilient.
CON: Expecting to win and ending up disappointed.
6. PRO: Show your work and receive useful feedback for improvement. CON: Getting negative comments, failure, or rejection happens. (But hey, at least you'll eventually grow a backbone for these situations.)
7. PRO: Helps hone your skills and evaluate artistic growth.
CON: You may compare yourself with others and feel insecure.
8. PRO: It's possible to align your own interests with some contests. CON: Beware of predatory contests. It's your time and your ideas, so choose wisely.
9. PRO: You'll get to finish something you'll be proud of.
In the end, it really all depends on you, whether you want to join contests or not.
Check out Business of Animation's blog for more in-depth tips on how to grow your animation business!