Let’s face it; high-quality software never comes free. Except with Blender, where it does come free. This open-source, free software has exceptionally positive drawcards and some drawbacks.
Check out the pros and cons of using Blender in your freelance animation business.
What is Blender?
- An open-source, free-of-charge 3D animation software that refers to itself as a community-driven project under the GNU General Public License.
- It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline- modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation.
- Free and Open Source
- Massive online community
- A large number of online tutorials and learning opportunities
- Great software for a wide variety of 3D animation tasks
- Full modeling toolkit
- Sculpting capabilities
- It needs high-spec hardware to run efficiently
- Not the animation industry standard
- Tricky to learn initially
- Can be buggy
- Complex node editing
- Software is not specialized